Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Living Quarters!

For the past month or two I have been trying to move from the B Hut to an RLB.  I lived in the B Hut for over 4 months.  The small, smelly, leaky, plywood structure was about a 15 minute walk to work.  Imagine 8 guys sharing a building the size of a storage shed.  The building had no insulation – if it was cold outside, it was cold inside.  Every time it rained I got wet.  Every time I had to use the bathroom, I got the pleasure of using the porta-johns.  I could stretch my legs out and touch both walls. 

My living conditions now are better.  Last Tuesday I got the chance to move to an RLB, or re-locatable building, much closer to the office.  The building is actually a shipping container.  As the war kicked off over 10 years ago the Government started shipping massive amounts of supply over here thru metal shipping containers.  The room I live in now once housed massive amount of supply trucked by a semi-trailer in the States, to the shipping and loading dock, then over the ocean on a barge.  Rather than sending the containers back, the Government decided to make living containers from them. 

The room I live in is actually 2 containers which were cut in half and adjoined to make for 3 rooms and a “common area”.  We live in a whole “neighborhood” full of used shipping containers.  Before, I had 7 roommates.  Now, I only have 2 others: 1 Army guy and 1 Navy guy.  We have a window unit which helps us keep cool at night.  The bathroom is only a 30 second walk outside, and it’s not a porta-potty!  I have a sheet that separates me from my roommates and adds a little privacy.  Life is great. 

Here is a picture of me standing in my new room

IMG_4749

Here is a shot of our common area. 

IMG_4750

Here is a shot of our front door

IMG_4751

4 comments:

  1. Well that's much better than what you explained on the phone, maybe even a step up from the brown house. Somebody just wanted me to feel sorry for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are liking your new home better! Its not for much longer! By the way I don't see the 12 x 14 picture of your momma that I sent you hanging anywhere in the picture, whats up with that? Love you to pieces!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got to move, bubby!! We love you and can't WAIT to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you, Mike! Movin' on up to the east side...

    ReplyDelete